The Presidency has refuted some media reports that Vice President Yemi Osinbajo’s trip to India tomorrow had been cancelled following the journey of President Mohammadu Buhari’s to Equatorial Guinea.
The Vice President is billed for Indian/African summit.
Some online media had reported that the Vice President cancelled his trip to avoid the Senate President, Bukola Saraki from taking the mantle of leadership as Acting President in the absence of the president and his vice.
The report added that the protocol officers made a blunder by scheduling the two trips to Malabo, Equatorial Guinea for the President and India for India at the same time. But in realizing that Saraki would assume office as the number three citizen in the hierarchy of government, the Vice President cancelled his trip.
But reacting to the development on Sunday, the presidency through the media aide to the Vice President, Mr. Laolu Akande said the report holds no water. He said that the minister of industry, trade and investment, Mr. Okey Enalemah would be leading a delegation of Nigerians to the Summit.
“Nigeria has been invited to the Indian/African summit and the minister of industry, trade and investment will be leading a delegation to the event.
“There is nothing like cancellation. Remember that the visit of the Vice President to any country is not treated in secrecy.
“Whenever the Vice President is to travel out of the country, we inform Nigerians. “So, this story in question is a bunch of speculation. There is no cancellation”, he said.